My husband loves food that I would categorize as ‘home-style’ and simple. However I have learned that it is often the food that seems the simplest that is the most difficult to make. Its difficult to get the taste just right, especially when everyone has their own opinion of what just right is. My husband loves meatloaf, and while meatloaf is not my favorite food, even this recipe had me going to the kitchen for seconds.
I know there are a lot of fancy meatloaf recipes out there, but I think that when it comes to traditional home cooking, its best to stick with high quality simple ingredients. This recipe is that simple delicious recipe you’re looking for. In full disclosure, this is largely my mothers recipe. What can I say, she makes amazing meatloaf and despite having tried multiple recipes online this one is still my favorite. It is also worth noting, in my opinion, that the edges of the meatloaf are the best…the absolute best. Yum, yum, yum!
- 4 tbsp butter
- 1 onion, finely grated
- 2 tbsp. garlic, finely chopped
- 2 lbs ground beef
- 1 egg
- 1 c milk
- 1 c dried bread crumbs
- garlic powder
- onion powder
- 4 tbsp. brown sugar
- 2 tbsp. mustard
- 2/3 c ketchup
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a small saucepan set to medium-high heat, melt the butter and sauté the onion and garlic, approximately 5 minutes or until the vegetable mixture is soft and translucent.
- Add the vegetables to the ground beef. Add the egg, milk and breadcrumbs. Season with salt, pepper, garlic powder, and onion powder. Chef’s Tip: If you want to know if your meat is seasoned enough, cook 1 tsp worth of the meat mixture on the stove. Once the meat is cooked, taste it and decide if you want to change any of the seasoning.
- Mix the brown sugar, mustard, and ketchup in a small bowl. Pour the mixture over the raw meatloaf. Bake in the oven for approximately 1 hour.